FW: Margins and IE 4.5 for the Mac

Apologies in advance for any duplicates.

>From: Ian Hickson <py8ieh@bath.ac.uk>
>Date: Thu, May 6, 1999, 3:46 AM
>

> On Thu, 6 May 1999, Jeff@Ratliff.com wrote:
>
>> Thank you very much for your prompt reply. Unfortunately, this doesn't
>> work either for IE 4.5 for the Mac.
>>> The commas are invalid. What you should have said was:
>>>    h1 { margin: 0 0 1em 0; }

Ok, I'll bite - using your style rule, I constructed this example:

h1 { margin: 0 0 1em 0; }
</head>
here is some div text
<h1>
here is some h1 text
</h1>
here is some div text

And as far as I can tell - it works exactly as it is supposed to, 1em of
space between the h1 and the div below it.

Could you give me an example or URI to an example which demonstrates how
"this doesn't work" as you put it?

> Ah. Yes. Well. MacIE does have a known problem with margin and padding
> shorthand. I guess I should have checked that first...

"known problem with margin and padding shorthand" ?

don't keep me in suspense - I saw nothing specific regarding the margin
shorthand on either

http://css.nu/pointers/bugs.html#IE4
or
http://webreview.com/wr/pub/guides/style/mastergrid.html

The *one* bug that css.nu documents about MacIE was fixed in 4.5 which
shipped in January.

The mastergrid does give a (P)artial for margin/padding/border properties
for MacIE4.5, but that has nothing to do with shorthands, it is because
MacIE4.5 doesn't support those properties on inline elements.

Is there someplace else where these "known problems" are documented that I
should be checking?

> The only reliable solution, I fear, is to use:
>
>    margin-top: 0;
>    margin-left: 0;
>    margin-right: 0;
>    margin-bottom: 1em;
>
> Oh, dear. Another CSS feature burnt by poor implementation...
>
> [This is now running fast off topic for www-style, which discusses future
> development of CSS and related technologies. I suggest the thread be moved
> to comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets]

I checked comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets, and saw no relevant
thread, so decided to continue here.  Besides there's been no traffic on the
list for two days, so it can't be that bad to continue on a topic somewhat
off topic.

Tantek Celik
CSS implementor, Internet Explorer for Macintosh
tantekc@microsoft.com