Re: Margins and IE 4.5 for the Mac

From: Ian Hickson <py8ieh@bath.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 11:46:35 +0100 (BST)
To: "Jeff@Ratliff.com" <jeff@ratliff.com>
cc: www-style <www-style@w3.org>
On Thu, 6 May 1999, Jeff@Ratliff.com wrote:

> Thank you very much for your prompt reply. Unfortunately, this doesn't
> work either for IE 4.5 for the Mac.
>> The commas are invalid. What you should have said was:
>>    h1 { margin: 0 0 1em 0; }

Ah. Yes. Well. MacIE does have a known problem with margin and padding
shorthand. I guess I should have checked that first...

The only reliable solution, I fear, is to use:

   margin-top: 0;
   margin-left: 0;
   margin-right: 0;
   margin-bottom: 1em;

Oh, dear. Another CSS feature burnt by poor implementation...

[This is now running fast off topic for www-style, which discusses future
development of CSS and related technologies. I suggest the thread be moved
to comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets]

--
Ian Hickson
U+2642 U+2651