RE: CSS3 and blink (was: indentation)

From: Ian Hickson <py8ieh@bath.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 23:13:34 +0000 (BST)
To: Ignacio Javier <ignacio.gomez@dicoruna.es>
cc: www-style@w3.org
On Tue, 16 Mar 1999, Ignacio Javier wrote:

>>    /* Uses another CSS3 suggestion to change the status line text
>>       of documents containing 'signed documents'. */
> CSS-3 where? is it a WD? is it?......well, I'm trying to demand info
> on CSS-3.

The current documents regarding what may or may not appear in CSS3 are:

   http://www.w3.org/TR/NOTE-CSS-potential
   http://www.bath.ac.uk/%7Epy8ieh/internet/wwwstyle.html

The first is a list from the W3 regarding possible suggestions of
extensions to CSS for CSS3. The second is a document be me :-),
basically the minutes of this mailing list. The content of the two
overlap, but not everything listed in the first is in the second and
vice versa.

>>  text-decoration: blink;
> let's see... what about blink(value), where value is an integer
> between 1 and 30, physically Hertzs, or one of the following listed
> values above:   dream | wakeup | attention | crazy | epilepsy

Not a bad idea, although I suggest that extending the 'blink' keyword
is probably not going to be a _popular_ idea, because:

  a. Most people hate blink anyway.
  b. The text-decoration property is a generally vague one anyway. For
     example, 'underline': Where does the underline go?
  c. It is not backwards-compatible.

--
Ian Hickson
U+2642 U+2651