Re: Official statement from Microsoft concerning CSS, XSL and US Patent No. 5,860,073

On Thu, 11 Mar 1999, Chris Lilley wrote:

> marnellm@portia.portia.com wrote:
>
> > until someone else can come up with a different scheme that
> > definitely won't infringe on this patent, and puts it into the public
> > domain, and we can all move toward that.  Perhaps something like
> > SGML/DSSSL.
>
> What makes you think that is outside the scope of the patent?

Chris,

Nothing really, IANAL, but there is far more money in SGML, from a
software investment, infrastructure investment, and sheer monetary
investment in the use of SGML, as well as the length of time it's been
around, and people have used it, that either Microsoft would be beyond
stupid to challenge companies implementing/using it and expect to come out
on top.  But who am I to gainsay MS in these matters.  When were these
standards first put out?

Matt