Re: Rotated Content

From: Daniel Glazman <Daniel.Glazman@der.edf.fr>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 06:20:02 +0200
To: www-style <www-style@w3.org>
CC: Rasmus Kaj <kaj@raditex.se>, springer@netrax.net, www-style@w3.org
Ian Hickson a écrit :

> >   'rotate'
> >
> >     Value:       <angle> | auto | inherit
> >     Initial:     auto
> >     Applies to:  all elements (with position other than static)
> >     Inherited:   no
> >     Percentages: N/A
> >     Media:       visual
> >
> >   This property specifies how a box's content is rotated from the
> >   content of the box's containing block.
> >
> > Naturally, there should also be examples of this, and what is now
> > section 4.3.7, Angles [3], should also be updated to note that angles
> > apply visually as well as aurally.
>
> Sounds like a very good idea.

Sound like an idea which needs much more work to be formalized...
and will not be so easy to implement.

1. What are the reference line and direction ? Mention of bidi is
   needed. What happens in case of vertical text ? I guess that the
   non inheritance is here to partially solve the problem.
2. does it really apply to all elements ? If it applies to inline
   elements, how will it affect the size of the containing box (CSS
   has only rectangular and non rotated boxes for the moment) and line
height ?
   How does it affect background and borders of block-level elements ?
   Relation with clip and overflow properties ?
3. I don't think it should apply to a table sub-element TR TD or TH !
4. what is rotated ? the box or the inline data inside the box ?

</Daniel>