Re: CSS3 proposition : relative content

On Mon, 7 Jun 1999, Nicolas Lesbats wrote:

> The 'floating-content' property (the name I've given may be completely
> ridiculous...) would accept all values of the 'content' property (but
> maybe a URI), at least a string and the 'attr()' value. [...]

A very good idea. It has already been suggested, in fact. :-)

Two properties were suggested, 'tooltip' and 'status'. The first would
provide text clearly associated with the selector subject (_for example_,
in a tooltip or bubble hint), the second would provide text in a dedicated
location (_for example_, in a status line).

See http://www.bath.ac.uk/%7Epy8ieh/internet/wwwstyle.html#status

> [To render the 'alt' attribute, CSS would have first to give a solution
> for formatting an image. [...] ]

A method for doing this has also been suggested.

See http://www.bath.ac.uk/%7Epy8ieh/internet/wwwstyle.html#replaced

--
Ian Hickson
: Is your JavaScript ready for Nav5 and IE5?