Re: table backgrounds

From: Tim Bagot <tsb@earth.li>
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 1999 16:11:54 +0000 (UTC)
On Sat, 5 Jun 1999, Tim Bagot wrote:

> This sounds reasonable. However, looking more closely I find that the
> description of the border-spacing property in section 17.6.1
> (<URL:http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/tables.html#separated-borders>) says
> that the space between borders "is filled with the background of the table
> element".

I don't normally reply to myself, but it has just struck me that this
raises another problem: 17.5.1 seems to say that that empty cells behave
in this respect exactly like non-empty cells (with transparent
background), which will give rather strange results for an empty cell with
a row background if empty-cells is set to "hide". Surely, given the above,
it would be better if hiding empty cells also made them show the table
background rather than than the background of any intermediate part of the
table structure?

Tim Bagot