Re: table backgrounds

----- Original Message -----
From: Chris Karnaze <karnaze@netscape.com>
To: <www-style@w3.org>
Sent: Friday, June 04, 1999 2:16 PM
Subject: table backgrounds

> Should the background of a table row be visible in the cell spacing of
> the row? Neither Nav4.5 nor IE5 do it this way, which seems wrong.
>
> Same question for table columns?

I think so.

But then the question becomes: if a row and column specify different
backgrounds, which wins? Who's on top?

I'd suggest that it makes the most sense to put the columns on "bottom" with
row groups and rows on top of them. While this proposal is largely arbitrary
(it just seems most intuitive to me this way), a possible rationale is that
COL and COLGROUP come before the rows in the table description.

Braden N. McDaniel
braden@endoframe.com
<URI:http://www.endoframe.com>