Comment on Shorthand Precedence

From: Albert Lui <al@primeconsult.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 19:07:24 -0500
To: www-style@w3.org
Hello,

I was just fooling around with some of Internet Explorer's CSS
properties and by mistake I saved on the files with the following
rule:

P { cursor: crosshair; border: thick; border-color: red }

I know the above declaration is invalid since I've specified the
width of the border in shorthand but I also specified border-color
explicitly.

The user agent ignored it and simply displayed what was contained
within <P> without style. I've no doubt that it is correct in
assuming such rendering, so just out of curiousity I searched the CSS
2 specification on information relating to shorthand precedence.
There was none.

Perhaps a comment should be added whereas it is suggested that user
agents should follow both declarations even though border-color
should have simply been written along with border as shorthand.

Just a suggestion you guys might want to consider....

--Albert.