Extension to background-attachment

From: L. David Baron <dbaron@fas.harvard.edu>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 18:06:51 -0500 (EST)
To: www-style@w3.org
I would like to propose a new value for the background-attachment
property. [1]  I'm not quite sure what to call it; a few suggestions
are "parent-fixed" or "attach".  It would function the way I think some
people expect the value fixed to function.  I would define it as
follows:

(parent-fixed?):  If the element does not have scrolling overflow, then
background-attachment becomes scroll.  If the element has overflow that
is scrolled because its scroll property is set to scroll or auto, the
background remains attached to the parent of the element while the
element is scrolled.  However, the background moves with the parent if
any ancestor of the element is scrolled.

Background-position would work as it does for scroll.

David Baron

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/colors.html#propdef-background-attachment