Re: Cursors.......New Proposals

From: Ian Hickson <py8ieh@bath.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 21:22:26 +0000 (BST)
To: "L. David Baron" <dbaron@fas.harvard.edu>
cc: www-style@w3.org
On Tue, 12 Jan 1999, L. David Baron replied to Albert Lui's Coloured
Cursors Proposals thusly:
> I think the idea of specifying properties on elements is a good one,
> and I don't see a reason to give it up. Normally one would want to
> specify a cursor change over an already existing element, anyway. If
> not, one could create an appropriate element.
Absolutely.

> I tend to think that manipulation of colors within an image should
> be beyond the scope of CSS.
While I agree with this statement in terms of multi-color raster
images, it should be pointed out that monochrome pictures (both raster
and SVG) could easily have their two colours modified by CSS: using
the 'color' property for the foreground and 'background'-color for the
background. Indeed, this is one of the suggestions on the W3C CSS
ideas document.

> I don't think I have ever seen a colored cursor in Windows, and I
> don't know if it can be done.
Win32 has had animated 256 colour cursors since early 1995.

> I haven't seen any on Mac or Unix either.
I believe Unix can also do colour cursors, since IIRC X Windows uses
the same format for cursors as for icons, and icons can be coloured.

--
Ian Hickson