RE: W3 Note - item 28 - "@define orange = #faa;"

From: Jelks Cabaniss <jelks@jelks.nu>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 18:26:27 -0500
To: <www-style@w3.org>
Cc: <Aymeric.PoulainMaubant@enst-bretagne.fr>
> - If the purpose is to use symbolic constants, I would prefer a syntax
> such as "@alias orange = #ffaaaa;", or "@constant orange...".

It appears the vague wording of #28 has given birth to three children. From
simplest to most complex:

1) aliasing one *value*

	I don't see the value in this, if you'll pardon the pun.

2) defining one or more *declarations*

	I would find this highly useful.

3) using a "bag" (macro/function/class)

	Could this not be just as easily accomplished with #2?
	It's cool and geeky, yes; but does it make writing and
	reading CSS easier?

These three should be separate proposals -- they are vastly different.

/Jelks