Re: My #1 request for CSS3

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 00:15:56 +0100 (MET)
To: George Olsen <golsen@2lm.com>
George Olsen wrote:

 > Not to change the subject too much, but I'd love to see the equivalent of
 > NS's defunct <MULTICOL> tag implemented, which would allow you to divide
 > text (on-the-fly) into x number of columns.

Several proposals on multi-column layout has been floating around (so
to say) for some time. Here's a simple proposal from July 96:

   http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/multi-column

We probably want to add support for columns of variable widths, as
well as non-shorthand properties.

 > Automatic multi-column text flow would go a long way toward enabling
 > "fluid" design, since it overcomes one of the major problems of multiple
 > screen resolutions -- if the screen gets too wide, legibility becomes
 > significantly impaired.

Agreed.

 > Ideally, the number of columns would also be scriptable (and/or changable
 > via a master style sheet), so that you could make adjustment for various
 > types of screens. For example, a PDA screen would require a single column
 > most likely, while desktop screen would require 2-4 columns, depending on
 > resolution, while a TV-based screen probably would only use a single
 > column, in part because of the larger type size required to be readable on
 > a TV screen.

You can do this with media-dependent style sheets:

  @media handheld {
     BODY { columns: 1 }
  }
  @media screen {
     BODY { columns: 2 }
  }

Also, by setting the column widht to be an 'em' value, you would
achieve fluid designs automatically:

  BODY { columns: 10em }

-h&kon

H   å   k   o   n      W   i   u   m       L   i   e
howcome@w3.org      http://www.w3.org/people/howcome
World     W      i     d     e       Web  Consortium