Re: Specificity of STYLE attribute

From: L. David Baron <dbaron@fas.harvard.edu>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 17:22:03 -0500 (EST)
To: chris@w3.org, dbaron@fas.harvard.edu
Cc: www-style@w3.org
Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org> wrote:
> "L. David Baron" wrote:
> > No browser supports this.
> > I wrote a test [2] for the current rule, and NGLayout, Opera 3.51, and
> > MSIE 5.0 beta 2 all fail in the same way, by having the style attribute
> > override all the time (which is the behavior I want).  (Netscape
> > Navigator 4.5 failed in a strange way.)
> >
> > I think the rule should be changed so that the STYLE attribute has a
> > specificity of 1000, so that it always wins.
>
> OK, now re-examine that given the introduction of the inherit value on
> most properties, and the revision of priorities so that !important
> stylesheets always win.
>
> We specifically want a !important user stylesheet to be able to blow
> away finely granular styling that the document author set up.

Sorry.  I didn't quite say what I meant.  What I meant was that rules
in a STYLE attribute always win over other rules of their own weight
and origin (i.e., author non-important or author important).  That is,
their specificity is always highest, but they can still lose because of
weight and origin.   All that I want to change is their specificity.

David