get absolute position

From: Jiří Novák <Jiri.Novak@merlin.cz>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 12:03:54 +0100
To: www-style@w3.org
Hi!
Please, can I detect absolute position of any DIV or any other tag on
HTML page? For example:

ABCD<br>
EFGH<br>
IJKL<br>
MNOP

I need detect absolut position of DIV with ID pos.
But, if I change style position to absolute, I can't find normal static
position in HTML page for it, becouse default absolute position is
left:0, top:0
If I change style position to relative, I can't find absolute left and
top position, because position is relative...
Help me please (for IE and NS)
Thank you very much.
George

GeniuZ