Re: Font-stretch

Matthew Brealey writes:
> Font-stretch: percentage
>
> This does not affect glyph heights, but electronically
> stretches it horizontally.
>
> E.g., assuming a glyph of height 10px and width 10px,
> font-stretch: 200% would result in a glyph of height
> 10px, width: 20px.

There's two problems with this:

  - Currently, the 'font-stretch' property doesn't *modify* a font, it
    only *selects* a font from among the available variants.

  - Stretching a font is a resource consuming operation, that I'm not
    sure we should ask of CSS implementations.

You can in fact already do what you want, although not quite as easily
as with a single property: you can create a stretched font yourself
that you then embed in style sheet.

Say you want an ultra expanded Helvetica. You can either find/buy it
somewhere or create it yourself with a font editor. Once you have the
font, you put it on your Web server, and then you need to put this in
your style sheet:

    @font-face {
        font-family: "Helvetica";
        font-stretch: ultra-expanded;