RE: background-Image Problem with Netscape Communicator 4.7

From: Todd Fahrner <fahrner@pobox.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 17:09:11 -0800
To: Thomas Ashe <Thomas.Ashe@Blackbaud.com>, "'www-style@w3.org'" <www-style@w3.org>
At 5:38 PM -0500 12/7/99, Thomas Ashe wrote:
>How can a programmer effectively create element IDs that are readable, yet
>fit all the specs? OK, I guess you could use syntax like that of
>Objective-C, such as elementName, but many programmers are used to using
>underscore as a valid character in a variable/object name, and not allowing
>it seems like a flaw IMO.

I follow your reasoning. I am not an apologist for this syntactical
detail. I have merely pointed it out. It's one of the few things
Netscape 4.x does right.

>Is there something I missing somewhere that would enlighten me to why this
>is an illegal character?

Probably Bert Bos knows. All I can surmise is that there was some
determination to preserve as many characters as practical for
possible future use. I guess this one cut a little close.

>P.S. in addition to IE, Mozilla M11 accepts names with an underscore as a
>valid selector.

Until the spec changes, it's a bug.

--
Todd Fahrner