Re: Text wrapping control

From: Pavel Nejedly <nejep9am@ss1000.ms.mff.cuni.cz>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1999 20:13:21 +0100
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>

On Fri, Dec 03, 1999 at 12:11:48PM -0500, firespring wrote:
# I wonder if someone could tell me if any rules for text wrapping,
# particularly as they apply to table cells, and to the deprecated
# NOWRAP attribute, are defined anywhere in the CSS spec? Where the
# HTML 4.0 spec refers to NOWRAP as deprecated, it states, "Style
# sheets should be used instead of this attribute to achieve wrapping
# effects." While my first problem with this statement's phrasing is
# that it's implies that NOWRAP behavior is implicitly defined or
# controlled by defining wrap behavior (which I'm not sure is true),
# or perhaps that the default CSS behavior IS "NOWRAP", my MAIN problem
# is that I have so far been unable to locate any text in the CSS spec
# that defines how NOWRAP behavior can be EXPLICITLY specified with CSS.
#

  CSS 1.0 defines property white-space for such purposes:

   http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS1.html#white-space

  white-space:nowrap;
  should cause text not to be wrapped. But as far as I know, it's not supported
  by Netploder :(

Regards,

  Pavel Nejedly