Re: font-size and accents, again

From: David Perrell <davidp@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 1999 01:05:54 -0800
To: www-style <www-style@w3.org>
Chris Lilley wrote:

> Well, not everyone thinks in terms of two wooden boxed
filled with lumps
> of lead. Furthermore, the term does not necessarily apply
since some
> non-Latin scripts are bicameral but the two forms are not
used in the
> same way as our "upper case" and "lower case". So, having an
upper and a
> lower case is one example of a bicameral script.

Hmm. I wonder how the latin-bicameral-oriented font
descriptors for AFM and Truetype are used with other scripts.

> " Bicameral
>     A bicameral alphabet is two alphabets joined. The modern
>     Latin alphabet, which you are reading, is an example
[...] "

> Robert Bringhurst, The Elements f Typographic Style, second
edition.
> ISBN 0-88179-132-6

Looks like a useful reference. At the moment I've a junkie's
reticence to do the Amazon one-click yet another time.

A bibliography in the CSS spec listing 'backgrounder' books
such as this would be a useful addition, IMHO.

David Perrell