Re: font-size and accents, again

Erik van der Poel wrote:

> David Perrell wrote:
> > I posted an example at
> > http://www.hpaa.com/css1/font-position.html
>
> I agree with you that the text "A pascally dementia" does indeed look
> best when it is centered with respect to ascender and descender.

I agree - that string (which has no accented letters), in that font
(where the amount the descenders drop below the baseline is similar to
the amount the ascenders rise above the x-height) looks best when
centred wrt ascender/descender.

If there were accented capital letters, the one centered on the bounding
box would look best. If there were Vietnamese in there - where you can
have up to three accents on top of one another - then the font would be
outside the bounding box so the white accents would bbe lost against the
white and cyan background.

--
Chris