Re: Q: z-index and the body element

From: Ian Hickson <py8ieh@bath.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 02:01:18 +0100 (BST)
To: gordon <gordon@quartz.gly.fsu.edu>
cc: www-style@w3.org
On Sun, 29 Aug 1999, gordon wrote:

> I thought the purpose of z-index was to determine what portions would
> be visible of elements overlapped with positioning.

Its for determining what portions should be visible when elements overlap,
not necessarily when they are positioned (overflowing content and negative
margins can also result in overlaps).

> Isn't what's being described here better suited for the visibility
> property [space reserved, and content absent]?

Nobody is saying we should use the z-index property to hide stuff; I
believe the original poster was merely trying to understand why his
browser was not exhibiting the behaviour he expected.

--
Ian Hickson
: Is your JavaScript ready for Nav5 and IE5?