RE: padded inline boxes and line boxes

From: ament <ament@xs4all.nl>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 18:22:43 +0200
To: www-style@w3.org
>Ranjit Singhe [mailto:ranjit_singhe@mail.com] wrote:
>>notice in the s.shot that gecko does not respect vertical padding
>>information.  in fact vertical padding behaves like negative margins (by
>>that i mean sticking outside the line box rather than influencing the line
>>...should i
>>let the vertical padding and border width influence the line box or not??
>No, you should not.  Gecko renders this case correctly according to the CSS
>spec; vertical padding, border and margin are not supposed to influence the
>line box.
>-Chris Wilson

I'm also implementing CSS2.

"vertical padding, border and margin are not supposed to influence the line
Where do you see that in the text?
So a brief review of when boxes vertically collapse:

* Thus, a paragraph is a vertical stack of line boxes. Line boxes are
stacked with no vertical separation and they never overlap. (9.4.2)

* Vertical collapsing only occurs with vertically stacked block-boxes. (9.4.1)
  * example at (8.2) where the margins of 2 LI-boxes (block-boxes) collide.

* The margins of floating boxes never collapse with margins of adjacent
boxes. (9.5)
  In other words: means floating boxes never collapse with anything. (8.3.1)
  In other words: The complete floating box (incl. margin,padding,border)
may never collide with any other box from the normal flow. (8.3.1)

* Absolute boxes never collapse with anything. (9.3.1) (8.3.1)

According to this information Gecko shouldn't collapse anything.

please, anybody correct me when I'm wrong.
Mark Ament