Re: When font-size and font size collide

----- Original Message -----
From: Daniel Glazman <Daniel.Glazman@der.edf.fr>
To: Tantek Celik <tantek@cs.stanford.edu>
Cc: L. David Baron <dbaron@fas.harvard.edu>; <www-style@w3.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 17, 1999 6:33 PM
Subject: Re: When font-size and font size collide

> Tantek Celik a écrit :
> >
> > > However, I *think* <font size="+2"> is often treated as relative to
the
> > > base font size of the document, not the font size of the parent
> > > element.
> >
> > It is.  FONT SIZE=+/- is pretty bizarre and completely unrepresentable
in
> > CSS.
>
> Right.

But when BASEFONT assumes the default value (3), there should be no
difference between using signed and unsigned values, correct?

> Next problem : FONT SIZE=+3 cannot be easily deprecated because it is
> not possible in CSS to declare that the font size of an element should
> be increased or decreased by more than one arbitrary unit... The %
> values do not easily solve the problem.
> I'd really love to make these FONT elements disappear from all my
> documents but it is a very dirty job w/o such a feature.

Since CSS has no notion corresponding to BASEFONT (fortunately!), I would
think that

  font-size: xx-large;

should do the job (assuming you're using "normal" for the default text
size--and there are few good reasons not to do that). If you want a
*particular* relationship between sizes, ems or percentage are appropriate.

--
Braden N. McDaniel
braden@endoframe.com