RE: Speak-Punctuation

From: Garth Wallace <gwalla@sfgate.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 11:34:47 -0700
To: "'www-style@w3c.org'" <www-style@w3.org>
I think it would be a good idea to at least address
this issue in the spec.

The problem is that some punctuation is very
dependent on context. For example, the dollar
sign would normally force a period to be interpreted
as currency: $14.32 as "fourteen dollars and thirty
two cents". But there are cases where that doesn't
have the correct results: "$14.32 million" should be
read as "fourteen point thirty-two million dollars"
rather than "fourteen dollars and thirty-two cents
million".

I can't really think of any good solution to this. A
value for speak-pronunciation that forces a decimal
rather than currency context might work, but it seems
like a kludge, and generated content would be necessary
to add the word "dollars".