Re: Background image display problems

Hello,

Sue Sims wrote:

> > Can anyone else suggest anything else?
>
> I was going to suggest asking in
> news:comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets because I was under the
> mistaken impression that the purpose of the www-style list was to discuss
> current and proposed recommendations rather than the much more liberal
> verbiage here <http://www.w3.org/Mail/Lists.html>(1).
>
> Remove
>  background-color: rgb(0,0,0);
> from #main
>
> (1) "This mailing list is for technical discussion on Web Style Sheets.
> This is a focused discussion area: all posts to this list must be about
> style sheets."
>
> I'd suggest that the focus needs a bit tighter focus.

Well, my intent IS to make a recommendation for an improvement but
first I wanted to be sure that it was CSS that needed improvement.
I have been lurking on this list for some time and trying to absorb
it all as best I can, but it's a given that many (probably most)
of the people on this list know CSS a whole lot better than I do.
I therefore wanted to give you experts a chance to comment on
my problem before I wasted too much bandwidth on something that
everyone would instantly realize was probably not a CSS problem.
It also seems to me that talking about the bugs in CSS2 would
most likely lead to improved recommendations for CSS3, so I
really didn't think my post was off topic.

In any case, what I had wanted to suggest AFTER I got more feedback
on the test page I was inquiring about) was that some mechanism
be defined to allow background images like those I used in my test
page at:

http://www.firespring.com/testp2.html

to bleed over the edges of their boxes a bit so as to soften the
sharp contrast of the different edges. And yes, I know this could be
done with multiple images layed out properly, or perhaps with
border or margin properties (if the major browsers ever implement
them correctly) but that seems cumbersome and inelegant to me. A
property something like:

background-bleed: Npx;

might do it, where the Npx is the number of pixels that the
background image would be allowed to bleed over the edge of the
box. How the images actually look when they overlap would depend
upon how the opacity/transparency of each was defined of course.

Comments?

Rick Johnson
firespring@nfx.net