Re: Form "select" suggestion

On Thu, 8 Apr 1999, L. David Baron wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Apr 1999 21:24:35 +0100, George Lund wrote:
>>> [giving icons to HTML drop down box items]
>> Perhaps SELECT boxes could be counted as lists so that the
>> 'list-style-image' property would apply.
>
> In theory, this *may* already be possible in CSS, using the
> ":before" pseudo-element for generated content. However, I don't
> know if anyone understands how generated content works on elements
> that don't take arbitrary inline (or inline and block) elements as
> children (such as SELECT, IMG, OPTION, etc.).

On IMG, or any of the form elements, there is no particular problem
with generated content AFAIK. On elements _inside_ replaced elements,
such as SELECT, well...

The problem here is that the rendering of SELECT is not yet mentioned
in any specs. It may be covered by CSS3, and maybe one of the XML
behaviour proposals (brothers of XLink) will cover it.

For now it seems that SELECT is pretty much out of scope of CSS.

However, is we simply treat each SELECT element as its own document,
then we could say that all properties that apply to root elements
apply to SELECT. There is no particular problem with this, except that
SELECTs are usually rendered by deferring to the OS's UI code.

> It certainly isn't implemented anywhere.

Quite.

--
Ian Hickson
U+2642 U+2651