Formatting objects considered harmful

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@operasoftware.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 12:07:09 -0400 (EDT)
To: www-style@w3.org
I've written an essay on formatting ojects [1] which some people on
this list might be interested in reading. The disscussions -- I expect
there to be some -- should take place on xsl-list@mulberrytech.com
[2]. Here's the abstract:

  The W3C Working Group on XSL is currently producing two
  specifications: a transformation language (called "XTL" in this
  document) and a set of formatting objects written in XML (called
  "XFO" in this document). The idea is for XTL to transform XML data
  and documents into set of formatting objects which subsequently can
  be rendered. On the ladder of abstraction from presentation to
  semantics, XFO is at the level of presentational HTML elements. A Web
  of XFO documents can be compared to a Web of HTML documents with only
  FONT and BR tags. Although not intended to be used on the Web, it's
  unlikely that it can be prevented. XFO is therefore a threat to
  accessibility, device-independence and the dream of a semantic Web.
  The note ends with some suggestions on how to solve the problem.

[1] http://www.operasoftware.com/people/howcome/1999/foch.html
[2] http://www.mulberrytech.com/xsl/xsl-list

(And yes, I have a new job! Bert will take over my duties in W3C)

-h&kon

Håkon Wium Lie             http://www.operasoftware.com/people/howcome
howcome@operasoftware.com                      simply a better browser