Relative Font Sizing (Lack of)

From: James Green <www-style@cyberstorm.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 15:23:43 +0100
To: www-style@w3.org
Dear all,

Apols if already covered to death...

I'm currently designing a site (aren't we all). I use a stylesheet on
every site I do simply because it's more efficient, particularly when
swapping all those horrid <FONT FACE=...> for a simple P { font-face:
arial, helvetica } and such like.

However, I have come across a problem. The disclaimer at the bottom of
each page makes use of the <SMALL> ... </SMALL> element which is great
for handling variable size browser text on the user's side.
Unfortuantely, it has text which links to a legal page and this
obviously involves a <A> tag. In my stylesheet I have 'A' defined with
text-size: 10pt (it's the arial font); this means that, through
inheritance, that the <A> text within the <SMALL> ... </SMALL> bit comes
up as increased font size. I notice in the CSS2 spec that relative
sizing isn't permitted. So...

Q1: Why?

Q2: Will it be introduced in CSS3? (Not that anyone will know of
    course.)

Q3: Other than having an A.small {text-size: 8pt } in the stylesheet, is
    there any other way of getting around this inadequacy?

Yours, rather frustrated,

--
James Green