tables and styles

From: Simon Baumberg <Simon.Baumberg@ComConsult.de>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 12:13:14 +0200
To: "'www-style@w3.org'" <www-style@w3.org>
Hello,

I am having problems with using styles inside table-tags. The style
definitions are located in external stylesheets. For example, I have
defined a .headline style which I use with a '<H3>' tag. One of the
attributes of .headline is 'FONT-FAMILY:sans-serif;'. This works fine,
but when I use it inside a table ( <TD><H3
CLASS="headline">text</H3></TD> ) the font is depicted as a serif font.
There are many other examples of variable behaviour with different
elements inside tables.
Can somebody please give me a few tips or direct me to an information
source specifically about using styles in tables?

thanks in advance
simon