Re: CSS treatment like PRE

From: L. David Baron <dbaron@fas.harvard.edu>
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 1998 08:56:06 -0400 (EDT)
To: gwalla@hotmail.com, www-style@w3.org
Cc: dbaron@fas.harvard.edu
"Garth Wallace" <gwalla@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Is there a way of using CSS to specify that a certain element should be
>treated as preformatted (like the PRE element)?

Yes, it is "white-space:pre".  It is part of both the CSS1 and CSS2
specs ( see http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/text.html#white-space-prop ),
but I think the only place I have seen white-space fully supported is
Netscape's new NGLayout engine, although Netscape 4.06 supports the
"pre" value but not the "nowrap" value.

David Baron

L. David Baron         | Freshman, Harvard
dbaron@fas.harvard.edu | < http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~dbaron/ >
Webmaster, International Weather Satellite Imagery Center, etc.