Re: FONT vs CSS

From: George Olsen <golsen@2lm.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 1998 21:35:35 -0400 (EDT)
To: <www-style@w3.org>
Brooke Smith wrote:

>Chris Wilson and myself exchanged a few emails on the www-style list (a
>while ago) regarding Font vs CSS.  It appears that FONT information (and
>other presentational elements) will interact with CSS and can even have a
>greater weight, such as in this example:

In current browsers, FONT does indeed interact with CSS in ways it shouldn't.

The only reliable workaround I know of, which is admittedly kludgy, is to
add a CLASS attribute to the FONT tag, i.e.:

<FONT CLASS="attribute" FACE="typeface" etc.>

This of course defeats the intended purpose of CSS to depreciate FONT, but
does enable CSS and FONT to co-exist correctly in current browsers, since
NS/IE 4 both seem to recognize that the CLASS should take precedence over
FONT.

For users with 4.0+ browsers, this probably allow your intention of "FONT
{text-decoration:none}" to work, assuming it's redefined as a CLASS
attribute. And for users of older browsers this seems like a relatively
harmless hack, since the CLASS attribute gets ignored.

'Course if this had been implemented correctly, we wouldn't need to be
mucking around like this....

George Olsen                                     mailto:golsen@2lm.com
Design Director/Web Architect                       http://www.2lm.com
2-Lane Media                                   tel: 310/473-3706 x2225