text or font properties

From: <MWhisman@aol.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 16:19:48 EST
To: www-style@w3.org
I'd like to suggest these font or text properties for CSS.

1.	"slab-serif" as a generic font-family value for what typographers call slab
serif or Egyptian or Clarendon fonts, e.g.

font-family: 'Serifa', 'Bookman', 'Clarendon', 'New Century Schoolbook', slab-
serif;

2.	"font-width" to describe the horizontal scale or width desired, with legal
values
something like these:

ultra-extended / widest;
extended / expanded / wider;
semi-extended / wide;
normal = 100% = 1.00 ems; /* default */
semi-condensed / thin;
condensed / narrow / thinner;
ultra-condensed / thinnest;

The standard condensed font family would perhaps be "Myriad Condensed Web" or
(non-existent) "Verdana Condensed".
Personally, I'd prefer "Helvetica Condensed" to "Helvetica Narrow", but please
no favorite-font flame wars! I suggest a *sans-serif* condensed font because
it seems more often used than a condensed serif. "Impact," which has no non-
bold weight might be paired with "Arial Narrow," which apparently has no bold.

A browser would preferentially use pre-existing condensed variants of a type
family and only horizontally scale if necessary.