Re: Colors of collapsed margins

From: Ian Hickson <py8ieh@bath.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 21:16:59 +0000 (GMT)
To: "L. David Baron" <dbaron@fas.harvard.edu>
cc: www-style <www-style@w3.org>
On Thu, 19 Nov 1998, L. David Baron wrote:
> These situations involve layered block level elements, for example
> "<DIV> <UL> ... </UL> </DIV> <DIV> <UL> ... </UL> </DIV>".  In these
> situations, it is possible that each margin does not have the same
> color, since the DIV may have a background color different from that of
> DIV's parent.

Err, why is the DIV's own background important when it comes to drawing
the DIV's margins?

The color of ANY margin, colapsed or not, is that of the parent's
background. Since for two margins to collapse they MUST have the same
parent (eg, you cannot colapse with your parent's margins), then there is
no problem, is there? If I've missed something, draw an ASCII art
diagram...

--
Ian Hickson