Re: visibility=collapse

From: Stephanos Piperoglou <sp249@cam.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 09:21:03 +0100 (BST)
To: Frank Boumphrey <bckman@ix.netcom.com>
On Thu, 21 May 1998, Frank Boumphrey wrote:

> "hidden
>           The generated box is invisible (fully transparent), but still
> affects layout."
>
> In other words the box  content is invisible, but the space it would have
> occupied is still there, so whats the difference?

You get a "blank row" where the row should have been. For instance, if there
are 5 rows in a table and you have row 2 set to collapse and row 4 to
hidden, the effect should be:

Row 1
Row 3
[blank space equal in height to row 4]
Row 5

The difference is that Row 4 is there, just hiding, while Row 2 has paid a
visit to the Great Big Table in the Sky (don't say anything about the
metaphysics of the situation. We're talking about a theoretical user agent
and a theoretical document. There's enough mysticism on this list already).

-- Stephanos Piperoglou -- sp249@cam.ac.uk -------------------
All tribal myths are true, for a given value of `true'.
                         - Terry Pratchett, The Last Continent
------------------------- http://www.thor.cam.ac.uk/~sp249/ --