Re: Browser compatibility with implementation bugs

From: Todd Fahrner <fahrner@pobox.com>
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 16:35:35 -0700
To: d.tek.jre@ebox.tninet.se (Jan Roland Eriksson)
Cc: www-style@w3.org
Jan Roland Eriksson wrote (11:14 PM +0000 5/20/98):
" On Wed, 20 May 1998 13:20:48 -0700, Todd Fahrner <fahrner@pobox.com>
" wrote:
"
" > I see nothing wrong with using markup to describe presentation.
"
" Huh? I would love to hear you elaborate a bit on that ;-)

Take PGML. Adobe took PDF and encoded it as XML - voila! markup well-suited
to describing presentation. (They did a lot more than that, but the point
stands.)

Similarly, XSL is XML. CSS could be beaten into an XML mold, too.

I'm not saying these are great ideas, but markup clearly has more
applications than describing document structures.

Todd Fahrner
mailto:todd@lowbrow.com
http://www.verso.com/agitprop/

The printed page transcends space and time. The printed page, the
infinitude of books, must be transcended. THE ELECTRO-LIBRARY.
	- El Lissitzky, 1923