Re: Browser compatibility with implementation bugs

From: Mike Meyer <mwm@contessa.phone.net>
Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 14:39:36 PST
To: www-style@w3.org
> In your lust for further complexity, you are killing your livelyhood. I'm
> tellin' ya' make it too confusing and people *will* stop (QWERTY, Win95,
> VHS, and on ...) and go to a simpler, cheaper, easier alternative.

Complexity isn't the problem. Interoperability is. I run a browser
written by someone who *reads* specs. And understands them. It's had
three parsing modes for a *long* time now - one that was strict, one
that was permissive, and one that emulated the buggy netscape
behavior.

I try and write code that works with the standards. But I find myself
spending more and more time working around bugs in the big two.
Different bugs in every version. The latest report is that some
version of netscape treats an identical link in different ways under
different conditions.

You - in pushing the edge, and encouraging the browsers manufacturers
to ignore standars - are making the internet such a miserable place to
work that killing my livelihood is of no consequence.

	<mike