multiple style sheets for 1 doc

From: Daniel Glazman <Daniel.Glazman@der.edfgdf.fr>
Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 17:47:09 +0100 (WET DST)
To: www-style@w3.org

I have a comment on browsers implementation of multiple style sheets
for one single document.  I have never seen my browser opening a
window and ask "this document has 4 alternate stylesheets; which
sheet(s) do you want to use ?" ...  I also regret that in HTML only
one preferred style sheet is allowed per document. I want (need) that
and I insist on the possibility to open n windows with the same
document but one style sheet per window.

You may say that I am dreaming. I am not at all. Browsers being able
to open more than one window, this is extremely easy to implement and
there is a new market with a lot of money behind. If standards and
tools allow to do so, their penetration in industrial environments
will increase quickly !  Indeed, in industrial environment, you very
often have to see a set of data in three different ways at the same
time. Example : our technical SGML docsets at EDF with a lot of
embedded CGM that could be turned into PGML need between 2 and 5 views
on the same instance.  It is often the same in the defense, utilities,
civil planes, ground transportations and petroleum companies (and that
represents a lot of people and money, eh ?-).

I know that this topic is more a concern for *ML WGs and tool vendors
but this is strongly linked with the future of CSS in an environment
that CSS does not completely address for the moment so this list
seems a good place for such a request... ;-)

</Daniel>