Re: Counters and Cross References

From: Ian Hickson <exxieh@bath.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 19:08:33 +0100
To: Garth Wallace <gwalla@hotmail.com>, Bert.Bos@sophia.inria.fr
Cc: www-style@w3.org
>>another idea - if using a speech based media, would it be relevant to
>>cross reference by time-offset? As in, "we will discuss this in the
>>paragraph which is in twenty seconds".

>This doesn't sound like a very good idea. If the paragraphs are
>themselves numbered, there should be no problem with referring to them
>by number. If they are not, it might make more sense (and be easier to
>implement) if the paragraph is referred to in number of paragraphs
>before or past the current paragraph: "we will discuss this in the next
>paragraph". As long as paragraphs are separated by a recognizable pause,
>there should be no problem.

You're right, that would be better. So up to now we have:

cross referencing by value of one of the object's counters
cross referencing by page or slide number on which the object appears (for
paged/slide media)
cross referencing by relative distance in elements ("in three paragraphs",
"back two headers", "in eight citations", "next list")

I hope you're taking notes Bert! ;-)

Incidentally - I don't know if the people in the other thread can hear us,
but this is what IDs are useful for in CSS: Referencing particular elements
for a cross reference.

--
Ian Hickson