Re: Suggested COMPROMISE for regexps (was: OPINIONS WANTED: regexps in CSS?)

From: Stephanos Piperoglou <sp249@cam.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 1998 13:21:57 +0000 (GMT)
To: Todd Fahrner <fahrner@pobox.com>
cc: Ian Hickson <exxieh@bath.ac.uk>, www-style@w3.org, cwilso@microsoft.com
On Thu, 12 Mar 1998, Todd Fahrner wrote:

> I'm not going to start a hunger strike or anything for it. In fact, my
> support for the idea weakened considerably with Andrew's suggestion that
> truly "advanced" features like this should be handled in the realm of
> "advanced" users: on servers.

That's a good point. Given a large document structure, anyone who is
relatively well versed in things computerish can write a script to create a
stylesheet and add relevant CLASS attributes to his HTML files. All that
stuff about site-wide updates can happen on the server side. Personally, I'm
against REs. I do most of my site-wide processing on the server side ANYWAY
(I'm in favour of seperate NS4/IE4 pages for all documents, but I don't
WRITE them, I GENERATE them).

-- Stephanos Piperoglou -- sp249@cam.ac.uk -------------------
All I want is a little love and a lot of money. In that order.
------------------------- http://www.thor.cam.ac.uk/~sp249/ --