Re: pseudo-class suggestion

On Fri, 13 Mar 1998, Carl Johan Berglund wrote:
> At 22.28 +0100 98-03-12, David Perrell wrote:
> >Can we get some extra mileage out of the :active pseudo-class?
> >
> >   H2:active { color: green }
> >
> ><H2 ID=276>This is green when selected by a fragment ID</H2>
>
> Good idea!

It doesn't seem like a good idea to me.  The active and this fragment
pseudo-class idea are more different than similar.  Consider the following
case:

<A NAME=foo HREF=foo.html>Some Link</>

Now the active pseudo-class can refer to this element in two completely
different ways.  One for the fragment ID case, and one for the active link
case.  The author is likely to want two different styles for the two
different cases.

The is no good reason for trying to cram as much as you can into a
pseudo-class.  Doing so only restricts the author as above, and makes
implementation more difficult.  It seems to only make the grammar shorter.

    <URL:http://www.undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca/%7Eroconnor/>
"And truth irreversibly destroys the meaning of its own message"
-- Anindita Dutta, "The Paradox of Truth, the Truth of Entropy"