Re: Suggested COMPROMISE for regexps (was: OPINIONS WANTED:regexps in CSS?)

From: Ian Hickson <exxieh@bath.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 23:32:53 -0000
To: www-style@w3.org, Todd Fahrner <fahrner@pobox.com>
>" *strongly for*
>" Todd Fahrner
>" William M. Perry (easy to implement, willing to help others!)
>" Ian Hickson
>
>I'm not going to start a hunger strike or anything for it.
Hey, neither am I. However, I do like the idea, and would like it in the
spec even if it is an optional feature. At least this way it has a good
chance of eventually being available.

>In fact, my
>support for the idea weakened considerably with Andrew's suggestion that
>truly "advanced" features like this should be handled in the realm of
>"advanced" users: on servers.
Unfortunately, although I would consider myself an advanced user, I cannot
change any of the server settings of any of the www server acting as hosts.
Also, personally I do *everything* using HTML/CSS - documentation,
worksheets, homeworks, posters, web sites. I am even starting (with the
addition of JavaScript) to write programs using HTML/CSS! Regular
Expressions would be a very useful addition to the arsenal CSS provides in
helping me compete with people using DTP programs.

--
Ian Hickson