Re: OPINIONS WANTED: regexps in CSS?

Sho wrote:
>I'm not a browser author, but I wrote the CSS parser and
>renderer for Dreamweaver. If regexp becomes part of the
>CSS spec, I don't imagine that we would support it for
>some time.

Will you support the currently drafted attribute selectors? If not, then
regexp won't make any difference to your plans. If you will, then why not
take one of the free, highly efficient implementations of regexp already out
there, and write it into the attribute selector section? The parsing of the
sheet will be the same - the regexp will be passed to the regexp parser -
and the selecting on attributes will still be a "does it match what we
want?" comparison, merely going through the extra step of passing it to the
regexp module.
The only extra step is this parser for regexp, which is largely already
written by other people.

>Adding complexity to CSS means that vendor compliance
>will become worse than it already is. I believe that this would
>hurt CSS more than it would help.

The same argument could be applied to tables, as I keep saying. But then I
guess you won't be implementing that anyway!!!

--
Ian Hickson