Re: IE, NN and background-position: thpppt!

From: Todd Fahrner <fahrner@pobox.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 10:36:43 -0800
To: Stephanos Piperoglou <sp249@cam.ac.uk>
Cc: David Perrell <davidp@earthlink.net>, Style <www-style@w3.org>
Thus spake Stephanos Piperoglou:

> I assume (I haven't checked) that the BODY has a default margin, but has
> padding set to 0. So this behaviour is consistent.

My most recent revision to the "Base Stylesheet"[1] has the body margin set
to 0 and the padding set at 8 pixels. Previously I had the margin at 8
pixels, 0 padding, and the background-position set to -8px. It's certainly
cleaner now, though I understand that it's no longer in line with the spec.
Oy.

> And don't forget that
> padding goes OUTSIDE a border, so this also makes sense. If you create an
> element with padding, border, margin and background image, you expect the
> image to be contained within the border. (if you don't, enclose it in a
> parent element with appropriate background and make it transparent).. So I
> think there's no mistake in the spec.

I never said it was a mistake, but in light of the consistent
misimplementation and the (arguable) virtue of said misimplementations,
perhaps it would be best to adjust course in CSS2?

[1] http://www.verso.com/agitprop/corestyle/base.html

Todd Fahrner
mailto:fahrner@pobox.com
http://www.verso.com/agitprop/