Re: OPINIONS WANTED: regexps in CSS?

From: Ian Hickson <exxieh@bath.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 23:43:20 -0000
To: Victoria Rosenfeld <jiggy@holly.colostate.edu>, Carl Johan Berglund <carl.johan.berglund@adverb.se>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
>If Braden asks for a special syntax in CSS for everything you can do with
>regular expressions, then I think you may be asking too much,
Agreed.

>but if you are satisfied with the possibility to find the elements
>manually, and add class names to them, then you have your other means.

That's ok with a 10 or even 50 pages, but I maintain A *fast* growing site
of now well over 200 pages, with content being changed by a team of people
on a daily basis. I simply cannot go through every page changing CLASSes
whenever I decide to make links pointing to academic sites a different
colour, not can I afford the time to go through every page looking for <INS
date="..."> blocks with a date of 1997. Also, they (the other authors) are
*bound* to forget to add the correct CLASS attributes in all their new
documents!

Regexps would simplify these tasks a great deal.

--
Ian Hickson