Re: OPINIONS WANTED: regexps in CSS? (Re: Suggestion for Attribute Selectors)

On Tue, 10 Mar 1998, Stephanos Piperoglou wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Mar 1998, Victoria Rosenfeld wrote:
>
> > If "advanced" means: "users fluent in Perl" ... how many people do you
> > think will be in this audience? The use of these REs seems to go counter
> > to what the web is all about, and it *ain't* about having the "advanced"
> > users be the only ones to use it to the fullest.
>
> I didn't say I think we should use regexp's :-) I just answered the
> question...

LOL .. point taken!

> > Javascript seems like the way to go, in general. Slightly complicated, but
> > very powerful *and* can be implemented at it's basic level (mouse overs,
> > popup windows, et all) fairly easily. Perl is a bitch to learn & I shudder
> > at the thougt of having to become "advanced" enough to use (what is
> > potentially) a great functionality such as CSSes.
>
> Uhmm... Not so sure of that. JavaScript (or ECMAScript, which I hope SOMEONE
> SOMEWHERE will implement some day)

Take a *very* deep breath! Seems like IE is sold on the VisualBasic way of
things and NN is equally committed to (ahem, their words not mine) true
JavaScript.

is a very specific client-side method.
> CSS has so much functionality built in already that it can do a number of
> things that JavaScript is used for today.

Agreed. My point was in the learning curve in regards to implementing...
if, REs are used, or are significant in the use of CSS.

> The important argument AGAINST regexps is that most people won't use them in
> the first place. Most CSS applications are simple enough not to require
> complex element matching, and most people are already used to using class
> and id as selectors, which are powerful enough for most applications.
> Overburdening CSS with regexps is a bad idea.

I concur!