Re: IE, NN and background-position: thpppt!

From: David Perrell <davidp@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 01:40:09 -0800
To: "Style" <www-style@w3.org>, "Todd Fahrner" <fahrner@pobox.com>

Todd Fahrner brewdingly wrote:

>Take, for instance, this case: http:/www.verso.com/~todd/concept.html
(in a
>4.0 browser - both show errors). The paragraph-background image is a
tiling
>pattern. To get the same effect, I think, the spec would have me do
>something like this:
>
> background-image: url(blackscreen.GIF) -1em -1em;
> margin-top: 0;
> margin-left: 0;
> margin-right: 67%;
> padding: 1em;
>
>No no no - that's not right. That wouldn't extend the pattern out 1 em
on
>the right and bottom.

You don't need to change your declaration at all to maintain that
cleverly-gotten effect. A repeating background image will still extend
into the padding, wherever the initial position.

>... I'm trying real hard to imagine a rendering that the spec
>would allow but that the semi-implementations wouldn't, and not coming
up
>with one.

Allow, maybe not, but simplify, yes, as in positioning a non-repeating
background image behind a block of text with different padding left and
right.

>It may also be the case that the hour and the homebrew in my blood have
>affected my perception, and I'm missing something obvious.

Ah, yes, homebrews and wee hours, insidious obfuscators of the soberly
obvious!

David Perrell