Re: pseudo element suggestion

From: I E Hickson <exxieh@bath.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 1998 13:01:38 +0000 (GMT)
To: Todd Fahrner <fahrner@pobox.com>
cc: roconnor@uwaterloo.ca, www-style@w3.org

On Sun, 8 Mar 1998, Todd Fahrner wrote:

> Thus spake Russell Steven Shawn O'Connor:
>
> > I think that CSS should have a pseudo element for elements that have an
> > ID of the fragment identifier of the current URL.  So if I follow a link
> > to a specific paragraph in a piece of text, then that paragraph can be
> > highlighted.
>
> Very interesting idea. I too have often been disappointed with the limited
> means available to focus attention on fragment targets. I wonder whether
> this pseudoclass, together with the new universal selector, would not also
> make it possible to hide everything except the targeted fragment. Poor
> man's transclusion?

If you mean to use
* { display: none }
then it wouldn't work since BODY would be hidden and all it's descendants
would not be able to override it (including the one which you want to
keep).

But it's bound to be possible in some other manner (eg, visibility:
hidden, which can be overriden)....

--
Ian Hickson