W3C Core Style project update

From: Todd Fahrner <fahrner@pobox.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 1998 16:25:25 -0800
To: www-style@w3.org
I've now got a single style.css file containing all the server-side include
code necessary for query string parsing *and* complete
UA-conditionalization of the modules.

What this means:

Stick the following in the head of any HTML document and twiddle the query
string's numerical values (1-4) to select different modules from the
project:

<LINK REL=STYLESHEET TYPE="text/css"
HREF="http://www.verso.com/agitprop/corestyle/modulor/style/style.css?2_aff;3_ma
rg;4_head;1_body;4_comp">

With decent HTML, you should get decent results in all browsers.

The number and order of the query string items doesn't matter, nor does the
delimiter (;).

Alternatively, view the output of "style.css" directly in your browser
window, modulo:

<http://www.verso.com/agitprop/corestyle/modulor/style/style.css?3_aff;2_comp;3_
head;4_body;2_marg>

We'll be watching our server load closely to determine the impact of all
this parse/include code. If things check out with the list, I'll document
this feature on the project description page, eventually adding a form
interface.

Of course, none of these URLs are stable, so don't get caught linking to air!

Todd Fahrner
mailto:fahrner@pobox.com
http://www.verso.com/agitprop/