Re: CSS3: Page headers/footers, auto-TOCs.

From: Alessandro Bottoni <bottoni@cadlab.it>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 11:27:24 +0200
To: "Chris Lilley" <chris@w3.org>, "David Wheeler" <wheeler@ida.org>
Cc: <www-style@w3.org>, <css2-editors@w3.org>
Redarding this note by David Wheeler:

> If these capabilities don't exist, please consider them for CSS3.
> I'd like to be able to use CSS to describe basic, ordinary documents
> that can be printed, and without these capabilities that seems unlikely.

let me say that HTML+CSSn could be a quick and effective way to make
technical documents that can be published both on paper and on CD-ROM, that
is an affordable and maneagable way to make single-source documentation.

This could be a huge and hot market for this technology and for the software
products that support it.

Like most technical documentation department, we would be happy to evaluate
HTML+CSS systems instead or beside the far more powerful and complicated
SGML/XML+DSSSL/FOSI ones.

Of coursee, we would need the support for page numbers, headers&footers,
auto ToC generation, page size and margins, transparencies and so on to use
HTML+CSS for this task.

I hope that the CSS committee will keep in mind these facts while working at
the next CSS specifications.

Alessandro Bottoni ( bottoni@cadlab.it )
Technical Writer
Cad.Lab Inc (www.cadlab.com )