XML + CSS (Was: More complex page patterns?)

Frank Boumphrey wrote:

> I would like to see an <XML:STYLE></XML:STYLE> reserved element. this could
> be placed after the prolog and probably also after the root element.
>
> <XML:STYLE>
>
> para{
>     font-size:12pt;
> }
>
> .code{
>     background-color:#C0C0C0;
>     white-space:pre;
>     font-family:'courier new',monospace;
> }
>
> </XML:STYLE>

Something along these lines would be nice for _embedded_ styles.  (You could add
"display: block" for "para" ...  :)

But your latter example (.code) implies a CLASS attribute on some item(s).  Does
this mean DTDs of documents wanting CSS styling need to be modified to have ID
and CLASS on every item that needs it -- *IF* you want a valid document?

It's nice that in HTML every element has ID and CLASS "built in".  How can we
provide that same level of functionality in XML without breaking validation?  If
we end up putting STYLE, ID, and CLASS attributes in DTDs, doesn't that start to
lead us down the road of bringing presentation into where it doesn't belong?  Or
can they somehow be "invisible" to DTDs?

/Jelks

 Jelks Cabaniss
 jelks@jelks.nu
 http://www.jelks.nu/